Department Seminar Speaker — Matthew Luther, McMaster University — “Continuous Logic & Spaces of Non-positive Curvature”

The Department of Mathematics & Statistics would like to welcome:

Matthew Luther, McMaster University, on Friday, November 8th, at 11:30 am, in SCP 229.

Title: Continuous Logic and Spaces of Non-positive Curvature

Abstract: In the past decade, a variant of logic and model theory has been developed which is geared toward metric structures. It is fundamentally based on distance functions rather than equality, and takes truth values in intervals of reals. So far, its applications have primarily been in work on Banach spaces and operator algebras. I will briefly discuss this logic, and how it can capture some basic notions and constructions in metric geometry. Then, I will give some motivation for using it to study spaces with non-positive curvature. I’ll close with some comments on my current work which involves these spaces.

TCNJ alumnus Mr. Matthew Luther is pursuing his Ph.D. at McMaster University, Canada.

Please contact Christina Lee for more information.