TCNJ Policy: 5 course units required for a minor, only one of which can double-count towards a major.
MAT 125 or 127, MAT 128, MAT 200 and STA 215
Courses for the Minor
Students will take 5 course units from the following list, depending on the major (see below):
- MAT 229 (Multivariable Calculus)
- STA 305 (Regression Analysis) OR ECO 231 (Applied Business Statistics). Both of these courses gives VEE-Applied Statistics credit.
- MAT 316 (Probability)
- STA 410/MAT 318 (Mathematical Statistics)
- ECO 102 (Principles of Macroeconomics)
- FIN 201 (Fundamental Financial Methods) AND MIT 201 (Information Systems: Concepts and Applications). Both of these are half-courses
- FIN 310 (Introduction to Investments and Financial Analysis) Gives VEE-Corporate Finance credit.
- FIN 360 (Financial Modeling) OR FIN 410 (Portfolio Management and Derivative Securities)
Students will select one course from Group A, which are all required in the Statistics major, and double-count this course towards the Minor. They will then take four courses listed in Group B. Statistics Majors may not take ECO 231.
Students will choose one course unit from Group B (which will be the double-counting course), and four course units from Group A.
Students may choose 5 courses from Groups A and B but it is highly recommended that MAT 316 and STA 410/MAT 318 are among those selected. Students may not take ECO 231.
Selections from Groups A and B as advised.
- It is strongly recommended for employment reasons that students take the first Actuarial exam (Joint Exam 1/Probability) as soon as possible after completing MAT 316 (Probability).
- While only ECO 102 is listed in Group B, it is recommended that all students take ECO 101 (Principles of Microeconomics) as an elective in order to obtain VEE-Economics credit.
- VEE credit in Applied Statistics will be given for grades of B- or higher in STA 305.
- For information about careers in actuarial sciences, visit http://www.beanactuary.org/ and visit the links to the professional societies that you will find there.